One of the highlights of the school year at Good Shepherd is the annual Remembrance Day Ceremony. We are a defence School and have 10% of our students with parents in the defence forces so this (and ANZAC Day) does have significant meaning to us. On Monday commencing at 11am is our assembly, led by Mrs Taryn Ahern (Defence School Mentor). Please join us for this special occasion.
Looking forward to the Disco tomorrow evening!
Session Times: (K-2)- 6:15pm to 7:15pm; (3-6) 7:30pm-8:45pm.
A reminder that no siblings can attend another session and signing in and out of children is mandatory by a parent or legal guardian. No mobile phones (videos/photos) to be taken as we have students who are not allowed to have photos taken.
There will be a BBQ running from 5:30 so come on down and have some dinner before the disco.
A huge thank you to the many volunteers who are assisting tomorrow.
A Working Bee is scheduled for this Sunday commencing at 10:30-12:30. Please bring your hats, gloves, gardening tools and wheelbarrows!
We would love to see many families attend and assist with sprucing up our school prior to Kinder orientation and end of year events.
Recently we have more and more students walking over to the carpark at Amaroo School to be collected by parents. We encourage parents to park in the new carpark at Amaroo School (there is plenty of parks at 3:10) but you will need to walk over to the students gathered at the front of the school and collect your child/ren. Safety of all students in the busiest school precinct in Canberra is our main priority. Please support us with this request.
Next Tuesday is our first 2020 Kindergarten Orientation. We are expecting 104 new students, and their families at our school next Tuesday from 9.30am to 11am. This orientation session gives our current pre-schoolers an opportunity to be familiar with their surroundings and meet new friends. This session also allows parents to learn a little more about the school at an information session. Current parents are most welcome to join us for Morning Tea from 10:30-11am. It is a great way to meet new families and alleviate some fears that our new Mums and Dads may have.
I am pleased to announce that Mrs Kirsty Price and Mrs Sarah Corkhill will be doing an exchange for 2020 only to St Monica’s Primary School, Evatt. Miss Katarina Markovic will exchange from Evatt and teach at Good Shepherd for next year. This is aa great opportunity for all three teachers to experience a new school and learn and work in a new environment.
Humble Achievers Award
Just a reminder that the Melissa Dunbar Award: The Humble Achievers Award - nominations close next Friday 15 November.
Class Allocations for 2020
During this term, we will be finalizing our staffing arrangements for 2020. Below is a copy of the ‘Class Allocation Policy’ which aims to ensure there is a fair and just process in allocating students to classes for the upcoming school year.
My firm belief is that teachers are in the best position to decide a child’s placement because they know all the children in their classes and have a view of the ‘big picture’. However, I invite parents to inform me of anything that you feel needs to be considered, for your own child’s well-being or development.
As there are four streams of classes each year at Good Shepherd Primary School, there are different combinations of children in classes. When forming the class lists the following factors are taken into consideration:
- Diverse Learners;
- Work habits;
- Cognitive ability;
- Health considerations;
- Religion (to assist in achieving balance between classes, especially in Sacramental years) and
- Common names.
Ideally, we aim for an equal spread of both positive and challenging characteristics. Where practical, parental requests based on educational concerns may be considered. At Good Shepherd, the staff and parents will follow these principles and guidelines when considering placement of students each year:
- Every care will be taken to ensure that each child is placed in the best situation to enhance learning and social development;
- Parents who wish to raise particular concerns regarding the placement of their children in particular classes should put the concern in writing and email it to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) by tomorrow - Friday of Week 4 (Term 4- Friday 8 November);
- Parent concerns will be considered during the process. It must be clearly understood, however, that no definite guarantees can be given regarding parental concerns;
- Where appropriate, advice will be sought from the Classroom Support Teacher, School Counsellor, Chaplain and current class teacher during this process;
- Considering all the factors listed above, the current class teachers compile class lists from mid-term, Term 4. These are then handed to me to confirm;
- Children will be informed of their class placement for the following school year in December (usually the last week of school) and the opportunity will be provided where possible for them to spend some time with their new class teacher. New students to the school for the following year are invited to attend;
- A class list will be distributed to the child at this time; and
- Throughout this process, after appropriate consultation, I reserve the right to make final professional decisions regarding the placement of children.
Wishing God’s blessing on you and your families,
Our Remembrance Day service will be held on Monday, 11th of November at 9:15am. The commemoration will be held in the school hall. We will also observe a one minute silence at 11am.
We would like to display military a from families (photos, medals and any other items of importance). This memorabilia may be from serving members past and present. If you like to participate please leave these items (labelled with your name and phone number) at the Front Office.
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM All day Recurring event All day All day All day All day All day 2:30 PM - 3:30 PM All day All day All day
Ash Wednesday Mass
Kinder Rest Day
1st Sunday of Lent
Week 5 Term 1
Year 6 Camp
Year 6 Camp
Year 6 Camp
Celebration of learning Year 5T & 5M
2nd Sunday of Lent
Week 6 Term 1
Grandparents / Great Friends Day
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
2:30 PM - 3:30 PM