Good afternoon everyone
Hope you had a great week.
Please save the date: Community Council Open Meeting
Tuesday, 18 June
6.00 pm - 6.30 pm
Everyone is welcome.
Enjoy the long weekend.
We have had a most settled few weeks in spite of this colder weather. Staff are busy finalising assessments and reports and know they are looking forward to an extra day off this weekend! Maybe you could spend some time this weekend grabbing a book and reading with your kids??
This came across my desk this week and is very thought-provoking.
Did you know?
· Did you know, that across the world, children who read the most read the best regardless of social levels, income levels or where they live?
· Did you know that reading is one of the most important skills a child can learn because it will be difficult for a child to master any subject without knowing how to read?
· Did you know that fifteen year old students whose parents often read books with them during their first year of primary school, show markedly higher scores than students whose parents read to them infrequently or not at all?
· Did you know that listening comprehension comes before reading comprehension and that you must hear a word before you can say it or read and write it?
· Did you know that children learn an average of 4 000 to 12 000 new words each year as a result of book reading?
· Did you know that children who grow up in homes where books are plentiful have higher reading scores?
· Did you know that parents are the key reading role models? High frequency reading parents are six times more likely to have high frequency reading children.
All children can achieve high results if they have access to books at home.
Karon Graham 2012
Winter Woollies Day
On Friday ,14th June (Week 7) we will be having our Winter Woollies Day to collect much needed funds and clothing donations for the St Vincent de Paul Night Patrol Van. The day will be a uniform free day, where students are encouraged to wear their own winter woollies to school. Each child is asked bring in a gold coin donation and/or a donation of a scarf, beanie, gloves, blanket, sleeping bag or a new pair of socks. All donations are to be ADULT SIZES ONLY please.
Our Community Council will provide a free sausage sizzle for lunch on Winter Woollies Day for staff and students. We need some parent volunteers to cook the
The gold coins will sponsor my participation in the CEO Sleepout. I will be joining other Principals in the Archdiocese sleeping it rough for a night in late June. To me, this is such an important event, because it gives people who are struggling access to key services and support that can help to break the cycle of homelessness in Australia.
Thank you for your support!
ICAS (International Competition Assessment in Schools)
I have received some queries about the ICAS tests that often happen at this time of the year and are listed in our calendar. ICAS dates and format have changed this year and will be conducted in September. I will provide more information closer to the date for those who are interested
A final reminder to those who are yet to lodge their online enrolment application for Good Shepherd Primary School. Your enrolment applications are over-due.
Those who think they may not be at Good Shepherd Primary School next year (Year 6 exempt) are also asked to let me know your intentions, via writing. My estimates regarding predicted numbers for Good Shepherd in 2020 must be submitted to the Catholic Education Office soon. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
Have a great long weekend.
Wishing God’s blessing on you and your families,
First Eucharist and Reconciliation Dates for 2019
For children in Year 3 and above wishing to receive the Sacrament of First Eucharist in 2019
Saturday 29 June at 6:00pm or
Sunday 30 June 9:30am or 5:30pm
Celebration of First Reconciliation
Tuesday 27- Thursday 29 August
Celebration of First Eucharist
At Masses on weekends
14-15 September and 21-22 September
For more details please contact Sacramental Coordinator
Louise Johnson: firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, 29 & Sunday, 30 June - Reconciliation & First Eucharist Enrolment Masses
Ana Manenica (Acting REC) - Good Shepherd Primary School
Links and Resources for Defence Parents to use with their children.
Australian Childhood Foundation Resources - https://professionals.childhood.org.au/resources/
Building parenting confidence - Bringing Up Great Kids: https://professionals.childhood.org.au/bringing-up-great-kids/
This online program providing parents and caregivers of young children with information and skills to help their child overcome fears and anxiety.
Teens (12 – 17 years) - https://brave4you.psy.uq.edu.au/teen-program
Young Child (3 – 7 years)- https://brave4you.psy.uq.edu.au/preschool-program
Child (8 – 12 years) - https://brave4you.psy.uq.edu.au/child-program
A resource sheet to go with the popular book about feelings - “In My Heart”, by Jo Witek
The following is a link to another website: The Australian Childhood Foundation
Colours Of My Heart Blog post: https://professionals.childhood.org.au/prosody/2019/05/colours-of-my-heart/